Thursday, September 06, 2007

Workout notes

Had planned a harder workout today, but still feel a little off from Monday's hike, so I compromised by doing a "not so easy" workout. I kept my heart rate around 150, and did 7.18 km (4.46 mi) in 48:36, for a 6:46/km pace. I felt absolutely great and I think I've had a major form breakthrough - it's not making me faster (may be slowing me down) but I feel quite sure I'm more legal. I think my left leg was actually the culprit for the problems I've been having with my right knee being soft. Before, I was walking too much on the outside of my left foot, and I was not getting enough toe-off on my left foot either. Now I think that is much better, and I'm getting more knee drive too. Hopefully this will eventually translate into better times once my muscles and body get used to the new form. If not, at least I'm more legal. I am definitely worried about Boise, though - I would hate to go all the way up there (it's a 5 hr drive) and do poorly. I just feel slower for some reason, even though I've been working hard and have lost a few more lbs since my fastest 5K in June.

No comments: