Saturday, September 15, 2007

Track workout

Today was my last long track workout before my race. I warmed up and did my flexibility drills, and then I did 16x400m with no rest, with alternating 2:18/2:45 as my goal (2:18 being my goal 5K race pace for next Saturday's race). I was able to do the 2:18s no problem - most were actually 2:13-2:16, but I slacked on the 2:45s, mostly because I wasn't paying that close attention to how fast I did the recovery laps. Some were 2:40s, but many were 3:00, even 3:05. Oops. I'm not worried, though, as it was a good hard workout and I felt decent.

I do wonder how I will sustain that pace for almost 30 min - but I wondered that before my last 5K and did 28:53, so I think the adrenaline helps a lot. Also, you push harder in a race than in a workout, even if you have an intense workout. I never do all-out in a workout, but in a race I will. Especially a race like this one. I have never done a race with a real racewalking division, and there are some FAST walkers in Idaho (at least 2 of them can do a 25:30ish 5K!!!). My goal is first of all to have a good race and finish well, but of course I would like to finish in the top 5 and get an award :)!

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Wow, that is a blistering track workout, and those 3 minute intervals are hardly "slow" recovery intervals.

Good luck at that 5K!

I once hit 28:27, but picked up FOUR red cards, though one of my competitors said that I got two of them in the last 400 meters or so (when I tried to hold someone off).

Racewalker55 said...

Oh good -- a new workout to try -- good luck Tammy