Sunday, September 30, 2007

Leg is really sore

I thought I was going to be OK after my walk today, but my left leg is now extremely sore. I have no idea what I have done to it, but it's been bothering me a little bit (not too much - just a little) for a few weeks, and after my 10-miler this morning it is much worse. It hurts a lot where the hamstring attaches at the top - I literally have a "pain in the butt". I got Loren to massage it a bit for me last night, and it helped a lot, but it was stiff again this morning at the start of my walk. By the end of the walk it was fine, and I wasn't even thinking about it.

I stretched it out really well, but a few hours later after sitting in church for only 30 min, it was really sore. I got up to play the piano for the offertory, and was limping a little - a friend noticed and asked me about it. I've been sitting on my duff watching football most of the day (my poor 49ers got mashed) and that has only made it worse. Despite 800 mg ibuprofen and 1g acetominophen, it still hurts a lot. I'm going to take some more before bed and hopefully it will be better tomorrow. I want to go to my weight training class - well, I guess I can always just do arms and skip the legs if I need to. I hope I recover enough so that I can do the 1/2 marathon in 3 weeks.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Tammy, be careful. You might ask the larger walking groups about this; the situation you describe can lead to long term trouble if not taken care of.

The good news (I think) is that a proper treatment now can mean at most a 2-3 "cut-back" of training, not a lay-off.

Unknown said...

Uh oh, that sounds exactly like my hamstring strain. I pulled both my hammies well over a year ago and the left one has not been the same since. Its been acting up again a lot recently in fact. Ice and heat worked, as well as physiotheraphy. The strengthening exercises the physiotherapist prescribed worked well (when I did them consistently!). Google hamstring stretches and start doing some of those.