Thursday, November 08, 2007

Interval workout

Haven't done one of these in a few weeks, as I was resting after the half marathon on Oct 21st. I have a race in a couple weeks, though, and would like to do decently at it.

I've been working on my form a lot the past few weeks - just slowing down and concentrating on getting my right knee straight. I can feel now when I am not doing it, so that is a big improvement on what I was doing before.

So this morning, I decided it was time for a little speed work. Since it's been a while, I planned a workout that wouldn't be too impossibly tough. Warm-up, drills, then 8x400 (or in this case, 422m since I'm on the indoor track right now) at 5K pace. 5K pace is 2:18 for 400 or 2:25 for 422. I did them in: 2:22, 2:24, 2:26, 2:28, 2:23, 2:24, 2:25, 2:25. Not too shabby. I felt pretty horrible, though - was breathing really hard to get them under 2:25 (and couldn't quite do it on two of them). I think I'm feeling badly for 2 reasons: 1) I'm still getting over my illness from Sunday & Monday, and 2) I'm not as efficient (yet!) with my right knee all the way straight. Eventually I should be faster with correct technique, but I may be a little slower until I get it figured out enough to get a good push off with my toes and keep the knee straight too. Short term pain, long term gain.

1 comment:

Racewalker55 said...

You will do a great job in your next race Tammy -- we are our own worst critics.
Glad you like the photos -- more on facebook if you want to take a look

Allan