Sunday, November 18, 2007

easy day; recital; grocery woes

Today I did an easy walk for 1 hour. I'm not sure how far I went, because I really didn't measure it (edited to add: just measured it on MapIt and it was 5.5 miles, for 10:54 per mile; about 8.8 km, for 6:48 per km). I just took it easy, and enjoyed myself. I have a race Thursday, so I didn't go as long as I usually would for a long easy day.

This afternoon I attended a trombone recital by my friend Matt. It was outstanding, and I particularly loved the Schumann and the last piece "T-bone Concerto", that had movements entitled "Rare", "Medium", and "Well Done". I have to say that I really miss being in a serious musical environment. I never even get to practice any more. Sigh.

After dinner I needed to do some grocery shopping so that I can enjoy a walk with my racewalking friends at the park tomorrow (usually I grocery shop Monday mornings, but the walk is nicer!). The kids go along in the stroller, and I'm fast enough that I can keep up, even with the stroller. Anyway, the grocery shopping was heinous. The store (Harmon's, which I usually adore) was actually OUT of frozen green beans. Completely OUT. I wanted French cut, but would have settled for anything, any brand. But they had nothing. I asked the assistant mgr for help, and he looked in vain in the back. Very frustrating. They were also out of the small cans of 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup, and they only had very $$$$ organic pecans. Come on, guys... I know that Thanksgiving is on Thursday, and you had a busy weekend at the store, but don't you plan for these kinds of things? You know people are going to buy lots of green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and pecans, don't you? Well, now another grocery store is going to get more business from me later in the week. Arrrgh. Not only do I have to make another trip, but I'll have to take the kids with me, more likely than not. How frustrating!

Despite taking an hour nap before the recital, I am totally exhausted now. It's late, considering that I have to get up at 5:45 to get to my weight training class. Ugh. Good-night!

1 comment:

Racewalker55 said...

Hey Tammy -- yes, that is how you qualify for an invite to Boston -- sub 5:00 on a Boston sanctiones qualifying course - why dont you come do Nagano with me -- it is actually relatively inexpensive believe it or not
Allan