Saturday, July 09, 2005

Lost in the music

I had the privilege of hearing my former teacher, Steve Thomas, play at the Assembly Hall on Temple Square tonight. He performed Bach's French Suite in G Major, 3 selections from Brahms' Op. 116, and 5 pieces by Chopin. The repertoire was perhaps a little "lighter" in feel & in mood than what I'm accustomed to hearing him play (except for the Brahms), but it was superbly executed. He wears his heart on his sleeve when he plays, allowing the mood, colors, and subtleties of the pieces to come out in full. I found myself more than once getting lost in the music; it brought me to a state where I found myself reflecting on deep things in my own personal life, and I realized I need to take more time to do just that (not easy with a 9-month old, but necessary). Of course, the Brahms was my favorite - I've heard him play it before, but I can never get enough Brahms. All in all, it was just great to get away for an evening and have some time for reflection.

Calvin was pretty tired and fussy tonight, and Loren was such a good sport about taking care of him so that I could attend the concert. We got him to bed too late last night after the Steve Miller Band concert (Calvin was at the babysitter while we attended the concert) and so he's been sort of "off" all day. We need to cultivate some teenage babysitters who will come to OUR house to babysit, so that he can fall asleep in his own bed. The concert was good, except for the extremely obnoxious and drunk fans who danced all over our blanket (we were in lawn seats) and disrupted our personal space. However, once we moved farther back, it was much better. I wish we had started off sitting in the back! For me, the Steve Miller Band was entertainment, but listening to Steve Thomas was real music. Ahhhh....

No comments: