Friday, May 11, 2007

How serious am I?

How serious am I about racewalking? I need to consider this. I started doing it as a way to get more exercise w/o the impact of running. But now I'm realizing that IF I manage to learn to improve my technique a little so I'm really legal, I could have some potential to actually do well in races. I have NEVER ever been good at anything athletic, so it's tempting to consider.

The dilemmas?
1. Most races that are judged are NOT held anywhere near Utah. It would be expensive to travel to enter some of them.
2. I really need to fix my technique. I am still "creeping" a little - my knees are not quite straight when they pass under my body. I am working on it, but it's hard w/o a real coach. There really aren't any coaches in Utah, either, though there is at least one walker in Ogden who might be able to help me out a little.
3. I should probably lose another 10 lbs if I want to be competitive. I can do this easily (I think), but I'm not sure I want to. Then I'd have to buy all new pants again, too.
4. It might be hard on Loren if I started to train more seriously.

I am thinking that maybe I should consider losing a little more weight and working a bit more on my technique with the help of videotaping and perhaps a little coaching from wherever I can get it. I could see how I'm doing after that and see if I am still into the whole thing.

Maybe I should just forget about it, though... I have been told that I have potential, so that makes me want to do it, but is it just my competitive nature rearing its ugly head? Or is this something worthwhile to pursue further? I just don't know.

No comments: