Wednesday, May 16, 2007

A blast from the past


I can't believe it... but tonight we saw one of these in the parking lot near Shopko in SugarHouse. Yes, a 1983 powder blue Yamaha Riva 180cc scooter. The EXACT model that I owned from 1989-1991, my last 2 years in college. I drove it all over San Diego and now have dirt permanently embedded in my knee after my front tire blew out driving on "the 5" as it is affectionately known in California. Wow, did it bring back memories. The cute little glove compartment where I kept a spare spark plug (hey, it only needs one!) and a screwdriver, the nifty rear view mirror, and the amazing blue color. I remember cruising along the beach near Del Mar with Loren on the back, enjoying the ocean view and the fresh air. I remember the really cool black leather gloves, my denim jacket, and the white helmet w/the red and blue stripes. I also remember how scary it was to get back on after the accident... and how glad I was to finally buy a car when the scooter was stolen on the day of my last final in college - how weird is that?

2 comments:

Danny said...

I wish I had a scooter, if only for the gas mileage. I'm probably too chicken to actually ride it, though. I like having my big armored shell!

Hunca Munca said...

I never knew you drove a scooter. I drove one briefly in high school, and Bryan LOVES them. He stops by that scooter store in Sugarhouse and drools over all the shiny new ones.
Fun post! Good memories!