Saturday, May 19, 2007

Confidence somewhat restored

Last weekend, my racewalking frustration was running high. I had Loren videotape me walking, and I swear it really looked like I was "creeping" (bending my knees as they passed under my body). I worked hard all week on improving things, and today at the Ogden Marathon I had a chance to have Jennifer, a super-fast local racewalker, take a look at my form. She said it looked good to her - no creeping! There were things I could improve, of course, but at least she didn't think I was creeping. I had fellow Wasatch Walker Kathy also take a look, and it looked good to her too. Phew. Big relief.

So, I did the Ogden Marathon Relay today with 13 other Wasatch Walkers. We were on 3 teams of 5 each (except Jennifer's team, which had 4, because she wanted the first two legs). I was to walk a 5 mile stretch for the 3rd leg. Well, I got to what was supposed to be mile 5, and lo and behold, no one was there! I had paced myself to do 5 miles and no more, so I was pretty trashed, but kept on going. Finally about mile 5.6-5.8 (the Garmins among us varied), I found the relay finish. Despite the pacing issues, I did the leg in 58:43, which is a 10:08-10:29 pace per mile, depending on whose Garmin you believe :). Considering that it was HORRIBLY hot out there, and I had a good uphill stretch, I am pretty pleased with my time. It was a good day.

1 comment:

Hunca Munca said...

You can walk faster than I can run. :-)

Glad you enjoyed your race and hooray for the encouragement.