Tuesday, August 19, 2014

cross-training; 4x1km

Sunday: 30 min elliptical. My legs felt pretty well-recovered from the 5K. Hardly any DOMS and no weird soreness. I was quite fatigued by about 5pm, though, and never really recovered. Went to bed early and that helped.


Monday: bike to gym, do 35 min elliptical, bike to work. Legs felt fine. Fatigued a bit in late pm, but dinner perked me up and I felt tired but not too bad later.


Today: warm-up at track, 1600m with strides in 10:11 with ave HR 139. I felt a bit sluggish to start but just went easy (3:19 for first 500m) and then felt better. It was warm out (22C, 72F) but a bit windy and overcast. Just as I got ready to do my first 1km interval, it started raining lightly. It kept doing that pretty much until the end of my workout, but it actually wasn't unpleasant - it was cooling, though I was wishing for my baseball cap to keep the water out of my eyes.

The intervals: I was to do 4x1km, with the first and third @85% effort and the second and fourth at a hard effort. The first one felt good. I liked doing 85% effort :). I did 2:54.5 and 2:58.3 for 5:52.8. I rested for 3 minutes in between, because that felt right for my first stab at intervals in a while. The second interval I did in 2:48.7 and 2:48.8 for 5:37.5. I was pretty happy with that, as it seems I haven't done a 1km that fast in a while (though I'd have to check). I've mostly been doing fartleks, and the first 1km has been slower on those. The third interval (@85%, though seems like the data says I was working harder than the first one?) was 2:52.6 and 2:57.6 for 5:50.2. Nice. Then a little rest and the last 1km at hard effort, in 2:49.1, 2:51.8 for 5:40.9. My legs were admittedly a bit tired by then. Yeah, weak, but I'm working on coming back and it's going to take a while to get my endurance back. I'm just going to have to be patient.

Adriana showed up about the middle of my 2nd interval, and did a quick warm-up before totally smoking me on the last two :). It was nice to have someone to chase. I didn't chase too hard on the 3rd interval (@85%) but I did on the last one, and she beat me by a long shot. She did about 5:28 on the last one. Must be nice to be 19 years old...and it's nice to have someone fast to chase, so I'm OK with that.

Now, after lunch, I feel OK. My legs are a little sore, but I think it's just the normal post-workout stiffness and nothing more. I hope :). I'm not terribly tired, but we'll see how that goes as the evening progresses.

Garmin data here for 4x1km

No comments: