Saturday, July 20, 2013

cross-training; 10K

Yesterday I did 30 min on the elliptical and then rode my bike to work (22 min uphill).

***

Today I was to walk 10K.

I felt tired this morning before I started; I confess to staying up a bit too late. I also worked for a bit before I racewalked, and so then the temperature was a bit high when I got going at just before 8 am. By the time I finished it was 81F (27C).

I went to the Jordan River Parkway, where I love to walk even though I don't drive there often to do it. Kelly lives nearby and I was going to have breakfast with her after my walk, so it worked out well. (Incidentally, Kelly is still laid up with her knee injury; she recently had surgery to clean up some tissue in the knee they suspected might be a problem, and she expects to return to racewalking soon).

I started off well, doing the first 5K in 30:20 or so. My legs started to feel tired around 4km, so I knew it was going to be a long walk. However, even though my muscles were tired and it was hot, I managed OK for the last 5K, doing 31:40 for 1:02:00 total with ave HR 149. I stopped at 2.5K, 5K, and 7.5K to drink from water fountains along the course.

I've been a bit sore today after the effort; mostly glutes and hamstrings. I spent the afternoon at the pool with the kids and their friends, and it was pretty relaxing for the most part, for which I was glad. I'll sleep well tonight.

Garmin data here.


No comments: