Tuesday, September 25, 2012

slow 12K

I knew this would be hard, but I didn't think it would be THIS hard. My legs (hamstrings and glutes) and abs (obliques mostly) are SO very sore from yesterday's track workout.

When I woke up it was dark (yes, back to working out in the dark since it's fall) and it was raining. Funny, I didn't remember much rain in the forecast. At least it wasn't too cold; it was 54F (12C). I wore shorts and a T-shirt with my rain jacket and baseball cap. Not sure the rain jacket actually did too much, as I was completely soaked when I got home, but it did keep me warmer than without it. I kind of wished I had capris on instead of shorts, too.

The first few steps were painful! For about 10 strides I don't think I could fully straighten my legs, and my hamstrings were screaming. After that it got better, but I was (predictably) very, very slow. Despite what my coach said about this being a hard week, I still had to keep pushing out the negative thoughts, "You aren't going to be ready for 30K in 5 weeks - are you crazy?" was just the starter. I tried to shut them up and to be positive and think of something else, but it wasn't easy. Logically, I know that this week will be tough but that I have a good base and that my strength and endurance will return quickly. However, on an emotional level, it's not so easy.

Though tempted to cut the workout short, I didn't. I did the whole thing. My left hip gave a twinge or two, as did my right hip and right IT band, but nothing serious I don't think.

Yeah, this is going to be a long, hard week of racewalking. But I'm tough enough to stick it out.

Total: 1:20:20 for 6:42/km with ave HR 139.

Garmin data here.

No comments: