Friday, September 14, 2012

cross-training; 10K

Mostly I've been doing cross-training this week.

Monday: elliptical, bike to work.
Tuesday: elliptical, bike to work.
Wednesday: bike to work.
Thursday: elliptical, bike to work.

Today I decided to meet my friend Kelly (and fellow athlete of Jim's) for an easy 10K. Kelly is ramping up after not training at all for 4 months. She has a PR of 24:50 in the 5K, though, so once she ramps up I'll be hard-pressed to catch her. For today, I could have gone faster, but was glad she was with me to keep me going really easy.

The weather was gloriously cool. It was 53F (about 12C?) and calm and dry. It was so nice!!!!! We enjoyed 2 loops of Liberty Park + a bunch of 600E, at 5K each. No pressure, no worries about time, just walking and chatting. It was lovely. SO nice to have someone to train with. We're going to have to get Jim to give us similar workouts on the same days so we can train together more often.

We did our 10K nice and easy, in 1:06:01 for 6:36/km. My heart rate was low, at 136, as you'd expect for the easy pace. It felt good, except for a slight twinge in the left piriformis.

Weirdly, when I got back home, my big toe on my right foot was killing me! The nail is very sensitive and purplish. I am not sure what's going on - same shoes I wore for the 40K, so can't be the shoes? I don't know. Anyway, it's a minor inconvenience.

Garmin data here.

***

I get one more easy week after this week to recover, and then we start training for the National 30K on 10/28. Jim thinks I can break 3 hr. I think that IF I am able to recover well that I have a shot at it for sure, but that remains to be seen.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Have you tried the "heat a safety pin and press on the nail until a hole opens" trick? I've done that and it can relieve the pressure underneath the nail.