Tuesday, September 04, 2012

sick. 5K fartlek anyway.

I was supposed to do an 8K fartlek today. Ha. I feel lousy. Last night I couldn't breathe through my nose at all, and it's been running like a faucet. I am coughing a lot, too. At least the weather was nice - 61 or 63F depending on which thermometer I looked at. Nice and dry too.

Got to the track and figured I'd see how the warm-up went. I did all right; 9:27 for the 1600m with strides and I felt OK, though I was coughing a bit. Started into the fartlek and after 2km I knew it was going to be trouble. My legs felt like sludge and I couldn't breathe well at all. Raspy and nasty sounding. I decided that 5K was enough for today and quit when I got there, in 28:59. Slow (compare to 10K in 57:24 on Saturday with the same workout). Ugh. On the 4th km could barely manage 2:54 for the fast 500, and when I gave it all I had on the last km I did 2:47.6. Crap.

Oh, and now (a few hours later, lunch time) my legs feel terrible, like I did a 30K or something :(.

Garmin data here.

***

Sorting it out: Yes, I feel lousy. I might be better enough by Sunday to have a decent race. Maybe. Past history with this kind of thing suggests not, but it's possible that if I rest (ha! rest? with my life?) I might feel better by then.

OK, let's assume the worst. I go to NJ with my non-refundable plane ticket and I have a lousy race. I have sacrificed a lot this summer to train hard for this race specifically, and it's going to cost me about $500 to go and do the race. That sucks, big-time, but in the scheme of things in life, it's not that bad. I'm healthy (except for this cold, which will get better), my family life is good, I have a job that I love, and things are pretty good overall. Plus I'll get to see friends this weekend and enjoy myself even if the race isn't as good as I want it to be.

I'm trying hard to be positive. Honestly, I feel sad and pretty bummed out about the whole thing. I'm hoping things will get better, and there's no use being too upset about something I can't control and can't change. But I'm still sad. I guess that will have to be OK.

***

I feel bad that I came to work today anyway; my boss is doing Logan to Jackson (200 mile bike ride) on Saturday and he sure as heck doesn't want my cold. But I had stuff to do that is important for a grant we're submitting in a few weeks...and I CAN work though it is making me tired. I might try to leave a bit early and get a nap, but it's not looking like that is going to be possible.

No comments: