Wednesday, July 16, 2014

5K fartlek? NOPE 6K

Yesterday: tired very heavy legs, and I was mentally worn out too. I took a rest day, except for walking about a mile downhill with the kids to pick up the car. Had to get a new radiator :(. Arrrrgh! Anyway, that made me pretty tired, possibly because it's been so very, very hot. It was 103 (39.4C) on Monday and I think it was about 102 (38.8C) yesterday.  

Today: woke still not feeling recovered. Much cooler this morning at about 70F (21C). Went to the track anyway, but drove instead of biking, even though I'm doing the Clear the Air Challenge. I was just too tired and didn't want to ruin my chances at the 5K fartlek. I met Adriana there and we racewalked 1600m to warm up, with strides on the last lap. I wasn't slow at 10:12, but my legs felt heavy and tired and I was really concerned about possibly causing a relapse. I thought about switching to a 3K fartlek, or trying the 5K and stopping if needed, and also thought about just doing easy miles but wasn't sure what to do. So I called Jim and he said to just do easy miles and maybe try the fartlek tomorrow. OK. That made sense. I guess I could have figured that out myself but for some reason it was hard to think clearly - I don't want to jeopardize everything for just one workout, so I have to be careful! He gave good advice. 

So Adriana and I went and did another 4.4km together around the neighborhood, which is fairly hilly. We picked flatter streets but still uphill on the way out and downhill on the way back. We took it easy, though, and I felt decent when we finished. But later, at work, I was sitting a fair amount and got quite stiff. Grrrrrrrrrrr. I really want to do the 5K fartlek tomorrow but only if my legs feel better. Today they've been quite tired, but a good rest tonight might help enough. We'll see. If I feel crappy, then I'll just go cross-train at the gym.

Total time: 38:35 for 6:26/km with ave HR in the low-mid 140s (combining the 2 segments on my watch). 

No comments: