Monday, December 19, 2011

slow and slippery 12K

On the agenda for today: 12K.

Weather: a huge factor today. It was 24F (-4C) with a slight wind and fog (yeah, weird but true) and light snow. There was a dusting of snow on the ground but definitely more than last week's dusting of snow. It was very, very slippery. Seriously, I had about zero toe push-off today. How important is toe push-off in racewalking? VERY important.

So, I knew I'd be slow, and took it really easy. My legs felt fine. My right knee is slightly petulant (I suspect it's residual IT band issues?). It doesn't actually HURT, but it feels a little "off". I'm being really careful with my form, but today's slippery snow probably did make my form a bit odd, so I'm sure that explains it.

All that matters about this one is that I got the workout done...so are you curious how much the snow slowed me down? Drum roll....

Total time for 12K was 1:21:55, for 6:49/km with ave HR of 140.

I might have been a bit flat today anyway; hard to say, though. I felt fine! But yeah, this was at least 30 sec/km slower than I'd have been with a dry road. No matter. I got in the km.

Garmin connect data here.

1 comment:

Nyle said...

Sorry my toes and fingers retract when I read your temp settings for the walk. I am still impressed that you are able to walk in that and that you do!

You are so ready for this 50KM....I cant wait.