Thursday, December 08, 2011

5x2K

At least it's done. That's all I can say about this one.

The weather was OK. It was chilly but not as cold as it's been; it was 24F (-4.4C) but very still and calm. In fact, there was a bit of fog at the track (cold fog!). My legs felt recovered from Monday & Tuesday, and I was ready to go. I felt a little sluggish on my warm-up, but when I started my first 2K I felt pretty good. That was the last time I felt good until I was done...

The first 2K was fine; I finished in 11:14. I forgot to turn off the auto lap so had to stop briefly at 500m to turn the darn thing off. I started the second 2K and by a few laps in I knew this was going to be a tough day. I did finish it in 11:17, but I'd had to work pretty hard to get that time, and I still had THREE 2Ks left. Uh-oh. Well as you might guess, it just got harder. The 3rd one was 11:25, and the fourth 11:34. My legs just had nothing. I really wanted to quit after the third one, but I knew I had to finish the workout no matter how much it hurt. The most benefit is achieved from enduring despite the pain. During the rest interval after the fourth one (only 2 minutes between each!), I actually started to cry a bit out of frustration. I really felt bad that I was doing so poorly. I was trying not to be too negative, telling myself that I was doing the best that I could, but I could not help worrying since I've had a few poor workouts now - Monday's 30K was solid, but with a high HR; Tuesday's workout was a disaster, and then today. Anyway, on the last 2K my legs just felt like stumps. I was just hanging on for dear life and finished in 11:36. Ugh. It's not like I wasn't working hard - my ave/max HR for the last 4 intervals was 163/168, 164/170, 164/169, 164/170.

There is less than a month now until the 50K. I have to stay mentally strong. I can do this.

Garmin connect data here.

3 comments:

Harriet said...

Interesting. A long time ago, I read about a marathon training program (for runners) that called for the main workouts to be 12, 16 and 18 miles all run at goal pace (3 weeks in between major workouts).

The program warned you that if you did these workouts properly that
1. You'd feel the way that you are describing yourself and
2. You'd be ready come race day.

Hope that helps. :-)

Nyle said...

don't despair, If you look back to the same time frame out from some of your past big events, you will find that there were walks that you had exaclty the same as above. Plus as you said to me .. you cant be on your game fast for EVERY workout..you have to have some flat ones to really appreciate the fast ones. I know you are going to kick the 50km to touch!!!

Tammy said...

Thanks, Ollie & Nyle. I think the training is doing what it is supposed to. That's why I'm tired! Jim seems to think it's going reasonably well, especially since this is a brutal week. He said this is the hardest one. Whew. it's almost over...