Thursday, August 10, 2006

The book that has changed my life

Aside from the Bible, the book that has most changed my life in the last year (I discovered it in August - my mom actually had a copy!?!?!) is Walking: A Complete Guide to the Complete Exercise by Casey Meyers. It is an awesome guide to help the average person learn to do "aerobic walking". This is NOT race walking (though now I am very interested in race walking and trying to learn some of the techniques). It just means that you are walking fast enough to get your heart rate in the aerobic training range of 65%-85% of max. Yes, you can do this by walking. You do not have to run and risk knee or other injury to get the maximum aerobic benefit.

The principle is this: walking is a LESS efficient gait than running when you do it very fast. That means you use MORE energy, more oxygen, etc. to walk fast than to run. Therefore, it is VERY good exercise. The key is to use a bent arm swing when you walk, so that you can go fast enough to get your heart rate in the aerobic range. It really works, and it's the best exercise I have ever tried - and I'm a former confirmed couch potato. No more! It really has changed my life to find an exercise I love. The best part is, when I work out, I get to eat more :) and still lose weight!

Well, that's enough ranting... you should try it for yourself! Let me know how you like it. I will be happy to help you learn the technique if you like - it is really very easy.`

No comments: