Friday, July 06, 2007

Racewalking update

I met with Jennifer again on Tuesday - she has given me 2 private racewalking coaching sessions now. It was a really helpful session, as we focused a lot on technique. She gave me some invaluable assistance on upright posture, better toe-off, and more. She also encouraged me to make sure I get enough rest and don't overtrain. Who me, overtrain :)? As if my body was agreeing with her, halfway through the workout I overused a muscle that usually doesn't get worked that hard, and I had to ease off due to some minor pain/discomfort in the groin. So, I had to take the day off on Wednesday, which was needed. The good news is that after a day of rest and some nice anti-inflammatory meds, I feel pretty great. I did about 10K Thursday morning at a nice relaxed pace (about 7 min/km) and it felt just fine. Today, I did my usual weight training routine, no problem.

Tomorrow I plan on a bit harder workout, since I feel pretty recovered. I am going to do a longer tempo workout to challenge myself in preparation for my next race - the Deseret News 10K on July 24th. I am hoping to complete it in under 1 hour, which will be tough. It's a downhill course, though, so I think I have a good shot at it.

No comments: