Monday, November 26, 2012

rest day; 10K w/2x5' bursts + weight training

Yesterday was a rest day :).

***

Today Kelly and I were to do 10K w/2x5' bursts. We met early at Liberty Park and got walking. First, though, I gave her a birthday + Christmas present combined (her birthday was yesterday). She was actually CARRYING a water bottle on Saturday for our 16K and I told her she was nuts :). In racewalking, your arms are too important to carry a water bottle. But she didn't have a fuel belt. Well, now she does :) and in hot pink too :).

Then we started walking, and she filled the bottles at the fountain in Liberty Park. We felt good this morning, especially Kelly! On the first 5' burst I felt great, but as usual on the second one I felt I was working pretty hard. Kelly was really pushing me on the second one - we did 2:50 for the first 500m! By the end we both still felt good, though we did slow down a fair amount. My legs were a little tired when I was done, but not too bad.

We finished in 1:02:09 for 6:13/km and my ave HR was 148. I dropped about 500m off of my Garmin by forgetting to push start again at a crosswalk, so the time is from Kelly's watch.

Garmin data here.

***

Then I drove to the gym to lift weights. My legs were OK after the walk but they are definitely tired now! I did 3 sets of 10 lunges on each leg - full lunges, back, then front as Jim told me, holding a 10-lb medicine ball. Ouch! I also did 3x10 sets of bench press, 3x12 abductors (gluteus medius, minimus, etc) on the hip machine, and 3x12 lat pull-downs with 70lb. Finally I did a few core exercises and stretched a bit. I think the 12K tomorrow might hurt :).

***

In other news, I've been eating terribly. Rotten. Horrible. Dessert has had my number. Well, on Saturday I had the worst WW weigh-in in a long time: 155.2 lb. That is not OK, because if I get to 157.0 I'll have to pay! Lifetime members attend free, and I really do not want to have to pay. I have kept my weight off for a long time and I know exactly what I need to do now. I just have to DO it.

I recommitted myself to my healthy lifestyle, and some practical steps:

1. Track all my food. Honestly.
2. Attend meetings more regularly. This will mean a later Saturday morning one when I have a long walk. Loren will have to help with the kids.
3. Sleep 8 hours per night. I know I'll miss this one sometimes due to work (hypoxia experiments), etc., but I am trying harder.
4. Spend less time on the computer and facebook at night and instead go to bed earlier and also spend a minimum of 20 minutes journaling/praying/reading scripture.
5. Keep accountable with Kelly (who is trying to quit soda) and Gisela (who would also like to lose some weight).

It's now Monday, and I've been doing great for the past 48 hours. I feel much better mentally. I'm confident I can turn it around.

No comments: