Tuesday, November 20, 2012

8K with 2x5' bursts

Yesterday I cross-trained on the elliptical.

Today was 8K with 2x5' bursts. I slept poorly last night for some reason - woke up at 4ish am from a work-related anxiety dream, which is weird because though work hasn't been boring, it hasn't been really stressful either. Anyway, I felt pretty lousy when I went for my walk, but as usual, I felt much better afterwards. Kelly couldn't walk with me today, so I was on my own. It felt odd to be walking by myself and I missed her company, but it was good to be out regardless.

It was nice for November, at about 40F (4C) and clear, with no wind. With light gloves, a long-sleeved shirt, and capris, I was comfortable. I started later than I'd planned, and at 6:50am it wasn't even pitch black dark.

I felt good this morning - really strong and fast. I made it to Liberty Park (2k) very quickly, well under 12 minutes. I started my first 5 min burst at 2k, and did 2:46 for the first 500m. Even when I relaxed after that burst, I was still pretty fast. My second burst was a bit harder; I started it at 5.1km and my second 500m was 2:49, so that was still pretty fast.

I will admit that I did push a bit today because I felt good :). I slowed up the hill at the end but still did a fast pace of 5:59/km with total time 47:48 for the 8km. My average HR was 153. My left glutes/hamstrings/whatever it is that is bugging me felt pretty good today, just bugging me a bit at the end.

Garmin data here.

No comments: