Thursday, November 29, 2012

5K fartlek - workout PR and new 5K PR!!!!!

I felt like there was a fast one inside today. I got up after a good night's sleep and my legs felt fresh after cross-training (45 min elliptical) yesterday. Plus Kelly was meeting me at the track and I knew she'd push me.

It was so nice and warm for the end of November - 44F (7C) and clear, with a slight breeze. I just wore capris and a long-sleeved shirt and gloves.

Kelly and I did our warm-up of 1600m plus strides, in 9:33. Then after a few dynamic drills and some good-natured whining about how we weren't in the mood for speed work so early (it was about 6:10 am by this point, and pitch black dark!), we got started.

We did the first 1km quite fast - in 5:18, with splits of 2:37 and 2:41. I felt good, though, and thought I could hold that pace for the workout. And we did! Our 500m medium effort intervals were all 2:55-2:57, and the rest of our fast 500s were 2:37-2:39. I knew by 3K that it was good, when we came through 3K in 16:30 (just 6 seconds off my 3K race PR!), and by 4K I knew I had a good shot at my 5K PR! Wooo hooo! Kelly was with me the whole time, though on the fast intervals she was a couple seconds faster on the last few (no more than 2 seconds, but definitely in front of me) and on the medium efforts I'd catch her again so we always started together. She finished about 2 seconds ahead of me, and I finished in 27:39, shaving 19 seconds off my 5K fartlek PR and 9 seconds off my previous 5K RACE PR!

My average heart rate was 160, which is about average for this workout. I really gave it my all at the end, knowing that I was close to a PR. Obviously I'm pretty happy with this workout :).

Garmin data here.

***

Because I'm insane, or stupid, or really because I don't want to be injured, I went to the gym afterward and did some lifting.

3x10 step downs on each leg (just barely touching tip of toe to ground - so weight was on the working leg each time)
3x10 military press with 20 lb dumbbells each arm
3x12 lateral walks with resistance band (for abductors)
3x10 row machine, 70 lb
3x10 tricep extensions, 12 lb dumbbells each arm
3x10 bicep curls, 15 lb dumbbells each arm
3x10 one-legged dead lifts, with 30 lb dumbbell (for balance and hamstrings - this is a great exercise)

Now, my rear end is killing me. But I feel virtuous :).

***

Food: mostly good, some bad. I have been eating lots better overall, though Tuesday night I slipped up and ate too much cheese and caramel popcorn :( (of all the stupid things to overeat...it's good but not THAT good and definitely not worth it...sigh). Still, I debriefed with my friend Gisela (my new food accountability partner) over lunch yesterday, recovered well from the slip (which is really what it's mostly about!) and yesterday was a great food day. Today is going well so far :).

2 comments:

Harriet said...

That is fast but...how were the knees?

Tammy said...

Ollie, thanks for the reminder. I should have put in my post that my knees were good, as far as I could tell. I DID pay attention to them; however, obviously this was not judged, and Kelly was ahead of me so could not look at my knees. Honor system only...but I am pretty sure they were good.

So, this doesn't count as a real race PR, and it won't go in my sidebar as such, but in my mind I know I can do it :). I am thinking that to shoot for a sub-27 in my next 5K race would not be unreasonable. It's congruent with my other race times at any rate.