Saturday, July 01, 2006

Feeling miserable

You would think we would be feeling better, since Michelle is doing so well. The weird thing about it is that we are actually feeling worse. At least I am. I am discouraged, depressed, tired, fatigued, emotionally drained, and feeling useless. I can't do much to help take care of Calvin, since I can't pick him up. I am pumping breastmilk 8-9x/day (in the middle of the night, too), but I get enough from one DAY of pumping to feed her not quite ONE feeding (she gets 8 per day). I can't vacuum the house, since the vacuum is supposedly too heavy to lift. I am trying to do laundry, but had to have Loren drag the baskets to the laundry room for me.

We are out of babysitters for Calvin, with none in sight. I am trying to remember all the people who said to call if we need anything, but my brain doesn't work well and I have no energy to do much of anything, including try to round up more sitters. Guess we're stuck visiting Michelle one at a time. At least we can still put Calvin in the day care on Monday on a drop-in basis, but Tuesday is a holiday, so they're closed.

Speaking of visiting Michelle, I'm finding it increasingly difficult. I visited her for 1 hour this morning and that was all I could take before I had to leave. She is wonderful, but I got so emotional and distraught that I couldn't stay any longer. I feel like she is in prison and they'll never let her go. I hate the sights and smells of the hospital. I hate seeing her in there and I can't deal with her lack of progress in the eating department. I was obsessing over every last milliliter that she was eating, and for what? It does no good. I tried to visit her w/o worrying and just hold her, but couldn't separate the two. I feel I'm not a very good mother. If I were a good mother I'd be there for her no matter how lousy it makes me feel. I just don't feel I can do it any more. I want my baby home. I want to hold her. I don't want strangers taking care of her (no matter how good they are at it). I WANT MY BABY. NOW.

1 comment:

tania choi said...

hey sweet girl,
baby girl was never much an eater too all the way till 3 years old. we had excel spread sheets up the wasoo tracking her. she plummeted on the day we took her home ( something like 1lbs or so ) and i don't think i ever stopped feeling guilty. it took us over a week to get her back on track.
she was 5lbs 4 oz so she didn't have much to lose. she never latched, had reflux till we figured it out at aound 6 months.
all my moms who have had preemie babies know the fears about undereating. you would never guess the difference now. But those fears never leave.
i still have a soft spot with her eating.
try to get some rest and enjoy the fact that NICU is babysitting Michelle right now.
will be praying for you.....
love tania