Saturday, September 20, 2014

I'm back! Back from Alaska, that is :)

Hard to blog while on a cruise ship - no internet, and if you want internet you have to go to a shop on shore and get WiFi, which is sometimes free (if you're lucky), and then I also didn't bring my laptop, so couldn't upload Garmin data, etc. So...no blogging. Now I'll try and catch up. [Haha - wrote this 4 days ago or so, but my computer has been acting up horribly and couldn't post until I got a new one].

In a nutshell, vacation was great for my training. It all went quite well, and other than doing weight training and experiencing greater than usual amounts of soreness as a result, I had very little weird pain/soreness/whatever. I trained well most of the first week back, too...but then I got a virus of some sort and it is wiping me out. Sore throat, congestion, and SEVERE fatigue, along with dizziness. Yay. I'm still functioning, but at a very low level.

So, in summary, my workouts for the past couple weeks:

Thursday, 9/4: was to do 10K, but after 3 hr sleep on plane and maybe 3 in bed at hotel (got in late, luggage very late, etc.), I was not quite up to that. At 4km my legs were starting to protest so I turned around. In retrospect maybe I could have done 10K, but the 8km I did was good, so I'm happy with that. It was in Fairbanks, Alaska, and the temp was a chilly 31F (-1C); see photo at left. I was dressed for the weather so wasn't cold, but it was sure bracing! 8K in 51:14 for 6:24/km with ave HR 142.

Friday, 9/5: 45 min elliptical at the McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge; ave HR 137.

Saturday, 9/6: I am proud to say I got in an awesome 15K before the bus left at 8 am, plus got some great views of Denali as the sun was coming up. Amazing! Started at 5:30am and was limited for safety's sake to ~2km loop (a bit less than 2K) that was VERY hilly around our hotel. Felt safe but the hills were tough. Seriously, about 8 loops with 46m elevation change per loop was a lot of hills. Legs held up well - definitely sore a bit during and after, but not weird soreness. Just from hills. It was great training. Total time a fast 1:34:59 (6:20/km) with ave HR 148. Very proud of this walk.

Sunday 9/7: 1 hr elliptical/bike in gym on cruise ship.

Monday 9/8: 8K in 49:26 for 6:11/km with ave HR 147. I did this on the 100m track on the top deck of the ship. Yeah, I know 80 laps is a lot, but went 10 one way then 10 the other way, and was not bored at all because I was outside and the ship was moving so the views were incredible as we moved into Glacier Bay National Park! Then did 5x200m in a very fast 5:08 total (averaged about 1:02 per 200m, after my 8K!). Felt good afterward. Later that day I did weight training, which I hadn't done in a very long time. That gave me a lot of muscle soreness over the next few days, but it didn't hinder my RW as you'll see. It just made me sore, but in a good way :). I would have continued this when I got back, but it's been hard to ease into life and now I'm sick. Arrrgh.

Tuesday 9/9: 1 hr elliptical on cruise ship.

Wednesday 9/10: warm-up then 5K fartlek in Juneau, Alaska, on the road. This went terrific, despite my legs being very sore from the leg press, etc. I think my Garmin was off on a few of the recovery intervals, as some were pretty fast, and my time was very fast overall. I suspect it should be more like 29:00? Regardless, I had 28:35 for the fartlek - on my mom's watch, though, so I don't have a link to it. This was the first fartlek I've done in a while where I wasn't totally trashed at the end and thought maybe it might be possible to increase the distance on this workout.

Thursday 9/11: 10K on 100m track on the ship as we were pulling into the port of Ketchikan. My legs were still sore, but I surprised myself with a 1:02:06 with average HR 139! :) Super happy with this. Maybe the track was shorter than 100m? I don't think so, though - seems like all my times this week were pretty good, even on land, so I think this could very well be accurate.

Friday 9/12: 1 hr elliptical on cruise ship.

Saturday 9/13: 15K on 100m track on the ship as we were pulling into our last port, Vancouver (see beautiful scene at left!). My legs felt good and recovered and were strong all the way. I had maybe some very slight weird soreness the last 2k but it was very slight and not worrisome. Then sat on the plane all day and did just fine :). Did 1:32:57 for 6:12/km with ave HR 142.

Sunday 9/14: rest day! Back in Salt Lake City.

Monday 9/15: 8K plus 5x200m with Adriana and Kelly at Liberty Park. Felt very tired and sluggish. The return to high altitude, maybe? Did the 8K at a 6:26/km pace with ave HR 145. Felt bad for slowing Adriana down. Then did the 5x200m in a pretty decent 5:12 - was happy with that, after my legs were tired!

Tuesday 9/16:  cross-training - did elliptical at gym and biked to work.

Wednesday 9/17: starting to get a bit of a sore throat but felt OK so did warm-up then 5K fartlek at the track. Did well! Was really breathing hard and felt like it was hard to catch my breath; lungs working harder than legs. Darn altitude! But did well with 29:39 for the fartlek with ave HR 161. It was a warm morning too - 70F (21C) and rather humid for here.

Thursday 9/18: cross-training - elliptical, then biked to work. Felt sick. Nasty sore throat, fatigued.

Friday 9/19: Supposed to do 4x1km. Too sick. Warmed up in 10:36 for 1600m (slow) then did another 1600m easy in 10:24 before calling it quits because my legs felt heavy with some weird soreness starting at about 2km. I hope everything is OK but think it's just the nasty head cold.

Today, Saturday 9/20: Taking a rest day. Was supposed to do 12K but still feel sick. Managed to judge my first race, a USATF-Utah 3K (see photos at left and right), and that was fun! Everyone was nice and legal except my daughter (green hat) in her first race - she had a bit of a soft knee and I did give her a warning (it was just a bit soft, not egregious).
However, afterward I was so tired and now am crashing in bed for the duration of the day until Calvin's soccer game this pm. Hoping I will feel better tomorrow and can do 12K. If not, I won't, but I am hoping! Weather is so lovely - fall here is awesome and I don't want to miss a chance to get out for a walk.



No comments: