Sunday, December 20, 2009

Gotta start somewhere

I racewalked about 3.7 miles around SugarHouse Park this morning. It was damp, foggy, and chilly (21F; -5C), and I didn't see a single person out there. I guess 7 am on a chilly Sunday is too much for people? Or maybe I'm crazy :)?

I was very slow, as I expected. 11:15/mile average pace, keeping my heart rate in the low 140s (which is an easy-moderate HR for me). What surprised me was that my legs felt tired and a bit heavy after only 1.5 miles. I guess that shouldn't have surprised me, given that I haven't racewalked in 2 months. I suppose I figured that the elliptical and the bike were closely enough related that I'd keep a lot of my racewalking fitness; not so. It's OK. I'm sure that after a few weeks it will improve a lot. But today I felt pretty tired for only 3.7 miles. I wouldn't be surprised if my shins were sore tomorrow :). They feel fine now; actually, everything feels fine, just a little tired.

It was good to be out there - I enjoyed exercising outside for the first time in a while. However, I think it's going to be a few weeks before racewalking feels really good again. Gotta start somewhere though. I have a half marathon to train for on March 20th!

1 comment:

Harriet said...

The elliptical really limits your hip rotation.

(psst: congratulations on being at a point where 11 mpm is "slow". :-) I know that it is for you.)

ollie