Sunday, December 02, 2007

Snowy Sunday

Today it was still pretty snowy, but the streets looked to be pretty decent, so out I went. I was chagrined to discover that they were fairly icy/snowy/slippery in a lot of spots, so I had to go very slowly at times. I still got a great workout, and did 5 miles in 57 minutes (11:24 per mile; 7:08/km - like I said, it was very slow for me). It was pretty cold at 22 degrees (-6C), but I was all right in my 2 shirts, long underwear (tops & bottoms) and tights (yes, Ollie, they were Spandex ;), 'tis the season), though I am thinking that a pair of sweats over the tights might be warmer, as my thighs and rear end got a little chilly at the end. I think a loose pr of sweats over the top would help, as it would add an insulating layer of air.

My dogs loved the crisp air and the snow, though they somehow got pretty muddy (I did not... go figure).

2 comments:

Harriet said...

:-)

A serious question: I found that my form is really, really bad (worse than normal) on that slippery white stuff. I know that I crouch down (to keep balance), drop my head and bend my knees.

During winters, I usually do snow hiking and snow running for outdoor cross training, and then indoor track work and treadmill work for the longer, more intense stuff.

Tammy said...

I'm sure my form would be no great shakes in a lot of snow. However, I walked on the road itself, and it had been plowed. It was clear in many places, though there were a lot of spots that were packed-down ice & snow, which, while slippery, is at least possible to racewalk on.

I do have the gym membership for the days when it's impossible to go outside. They have a nice 211m indoor track, and it is indispensable for intervals, etc. Plus they have treadmills, if I'm in the mood to watch TV while I work out :).