Sunday, December 30, 2007

New shoes


I read about the Asics Cypress shoes in an e-mail from Steve Pecinovsky to the racewalking Yahoo! group. They are on sale at Kohl's for $39.99, and so I picked up a pair, because I needed a new pair of shoes. They are really great! Yes, they're men's shoes, but I do not care in the least. They fit me just fine, are very comfortable to walk in, and they were great on my 4.5 mile walk this morning. They are actually trail running shoes, but the heel is super low and just perfect for walking in. I'm loving them... and loving the price even more.

Workouts: The last 3 days I've racewalked about 4.4 or so miles (7.1 km), easy. I'm just trying to burn some calories to keep the Christmas goodies off of my hips. Been eating a little too much; may have put on a pound or two, but I will get it off soon, no problem. Tomorrow I am thinking to do about 6.5 miles around the golf course here. We're leaving in the late morning to drive to Vegas and then back to Salt Lake on the 1st. I need to get some good exercise in before I have to sit in the car all day.

Goals for next year: I'm thinking about these. One goal, if possible, will be to attend the CRIM festival of races in Flint, MI, and enter my first judged 5K. I think I'm ready to be judged - my form is finally pretty good, at least that's what my racewalking friend Nancy has told me. Dunno how fast I'm going to be, but I plan to take off another 5-10 lbs by August and train really hard. I'd like to do the 10 miler as well as the 5K.

Other stuff: Amazing item that families who travel must have - a RoofBag. We got one because my parents gave us a bunch of stuff to take home with us, including a homemade wine rack (my dad made it, and it's beautiful!) and a waterbath canner. Needless to say, that stuff is rather large. Also, the RoofBag will facilitate camping trips next spring & summer, which we are really looking forward to! It would be impossible to go car camping w/the kids w/o having more room in the car to put the tent, sleeping bags, etc. Anyway, the RoofBag had free shipping and got here in one day via UPS ground, because my parents live only about 15 minutes away from the company headquarters in San Ysidro. Go figure.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm having trouble with my shoes again. I've been training in the Saucony Fastwitch but lately I've been getting severe shin pains and a pain on the top of my right foot. I think the heel may not be low enough and I'm hurting myself when I pull my toes up. The toe box on those Asics looks stiff. Is it pretty flexible? I don't think I've seen these yet in Canada, but I could probably order them online. I'm also very interested now in trying those "Health" shoes from China or wherever they're from.

Yes, you have to do the CRIM! I'm definitely going to do it again. It was a fun weekend. Although the 5K is a state championship race, I was suprised at how "low-key" it was. Even the track was pretty crummy I thought, with holes and bumps all over it. I think you and I would have a pretty good race though and be neck-in-neck the whole way. Could be my hardest 5K ever!

Have a Happy New Year, and here's to some great training and racing in 2008!

Harriet said...

what kind of feet do you have? Mine are wide and flat as pancakes (I wear orthotics).