Friday, January 12, 2007

indecision stinks

So, my last post about tough decisions? Throw it in the trash can. Not all of it, because I still believe every word I wrote. The problem is this - the boss values me so much that he has made an offer wherein I work 2 days instead of 2.5 for a little bit more money. Hmmmm. Couple that with a wonderful week at work where I realize just how much I really do love what I do (not just the identity that it gives me, which I love too - that is a problem, but it's a separate problem), and it makes it VERY hard to know what is right.

I think the extra half a day could be very significant. I mean, by the time I leave my house (12:45 pm) on Thursday, drive to the day care, then drive to work, work, pick up kids, and come home, it's 5 1/2 hours, easy. I'm usually not home until 6:15 pm. If I had all of that time at home, would that be the extra margin that I need? I'm not sure. It might be. The only way to find out is to try it. What do I have to lose by trying it for a little while? It might not work, but if it did...

So I'm thinking of trying it. Comments welcome.

2 comments:

tania choi said...

always gets me -- the counteroffer! enjoy the kudos scarce in motherhood.
it's worth a shot. 2 days is still a minority. anything more than 2 is majority. give yourself a deadline though --- these months pass fast with the young un.
cheers,
t

Unknown said...

Give it the three month test. If you're still feeling marginless, dump the job and spend it with your adorable kids. Work will always be there, but time with your kids when they're little won't. No one will judge you, one way or the other.