Thursday, June 07, 2007

Terrible Twos

I finally REALLY understand why they are called the Terrible Twos. My formerly sweet baby boy has turned into a monster. Sometimes. He can be pushing his sister over to get to a toy one minute and a sweetheart the next. If you don't do what he wants, he pitches GIANT fits. Nasty ones. And I DO NOT do what he wants. I refuse to cave in! That means I listen to a lot of fits every day, about everything from what color cup to put his milk in (I let him choose, but he changes his mind 20x and then he is just stuck with whatever I pick, and screams!) on up to more serious stuff like pushing Michelle, refusing to get in the car when I tell him to, etc. It's really pretty aggravating at times. When I'm tired and my patience is tried, it's very difficult sometimes to avoid yelling and getting nasty and angry (which doesn't help and just makes it worse). I'm learning to be more patient, but it's not a pretty thing.

More sleep helps. I think I'm going to bed now :).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel for you, really! I made the rule that Lina is allowed to change her mind once, then she's stuck with her choice. There were plenty of fits about it at first, but she did eventually get used to it. --Lani

Hunca Munca said...

Oh, I am so with you. Two year olds are so fun and so frustrating. I read a new parenting book a few weeks ago and it helped. Gave me more ideas and more ammo and more resolution to be CONSISTENT and follow through. And it's helping. But sometimes when they're 2, nothing helps much. Good luck!