Thursday, June 07, 2007

Hard workouts getting more tolerable

The evil lactate threshold workouts are getting more tolerable since I've been doing them 2x/wk for the past month or so. Either I'm getting used to them, or my body is getting better at what it's supposed to be getting better at, or the music from Repacer is pulling me along :). Maybe all of the above. This morning's workout was hard, no doubt, but it felt great. 10 min easy warm-up, then 20 min at 85% max HR, then 10 min easy back home. The 85% max HR was at about a 5:30/km pace, according to my handy-dandy Nike+iPod sport kit (which is often somewhat inaccurate, but today it was right on for the total distance). Not too shabby! I'm hoping that means I'm ready to break 30 min in my 5K in a couple weeks.

The big debate now... go to Reno to do a judged 3K racewalk on July 21st, or not? I'm a bit worried that I still have too much bend in the ol' knees and that I'll get DQ'd. Would hate to drive 8 hr each way to do a 3K and then get DQ'd. I think I'll have Jennifer watch me at the clinic next Saturday and then decide. Part of the problem is that I do NOT have the nice bend-backwards type of knees that look great on a racewalker. Mine just DO NOT do that. Ever. Not even when I am standing still trying to extend maximally. Soooo, I'm just not sure about what I should do.

1 comment:

Hunca Munca said...

Glad the workouts are feeling good! You have a place to stay in Reno if you need it. :-)