Tuesday, June 20, 2006

3 days and counting

Only 3 days until baby girl is here! I am getting so excited. There are still lots of little details to take care of before she is here, but I'm mostly ready. I say mostly, not just because there are still things to do, but also because I'm not sure one can ever really be ready for a new little life that is YOUR responsibility to take care of. Regardless, it is very exciting, and it's hard to sleep now. When I wake up in the middle of the night (usually for the 2nd or 3rd time) to use the bathroom, it's hard to get back to sleep. My mind is racing with thoughts about the upcoming surgery, the baby (who will she look like? what will her personality be like? etc), and all of the stuff I'd like to get done before Friday.

I am feeling fabulous about meeting the goals I set for this pregnancy. When I found out I was pregnant, I wrote some weight-related goals for myself. They included 1) eating sensibly and tracking my WW points, 2) exercising for at least 28 points per week, 3) trying to gain only the ACOG recommended 15-25 lb (for a person who is overweight to start with - others need to gain 25-35 lb, but I was still 20 lb overweight). I have managed to achieve EVERY LAST ONE of these goals! I tracked my points every day. EVERY DAY. I exercised for more than 28 pts/wk every week. In fact, I exercised every day except for the days when I had 7:30 am OB appts (and some of those I still managed to exercise anyway). There were a couple weeks I was sick and couldn't get all the exercise points, but I don't count that against myself. Finally, I have gained only 19 lb so far, with 3 days to go. Fabulous! I DID IT!

My goals for the next few weeks -
1) Eat sensibly but don't try to lose for a couple weeks after the surgery (try not to gain as well - just eat to maintain). I need to allow my body a bit to recover before I start losing again. Besides, I expect to lose 15-20 lb in baby, placenta, amniotic fluid, extra blood volume, etc, so why push it?
2) Try to get in *some* exercise when I feel up to it. At least manage to walk around the block, if possible, at a slow speed. Work up to more as I am able. I'm going to miss my aerobic walking, but hopefully I'll be back up to speed soon.
3) Return to WW meetings on July 8th at 7:30 am. Janiece, I miss your meetings... I'll be back soon! I miss my friends at the meetings, too, so it will be great to be back. See you all in a few weeks!!! Once I return to meetings I'll have some new goals, which I will post.

No comments: