Tuesday, February 10, 2015

3K fartlek

I usually don't relish speed work, and today was no exception. But I am more than willing to do it since I know I won't get fast again without it, and I really want to do a fast 15K in May, 50K again in December, and go to Perth for World Masters in October 2016. So...speed work it is.

The weather was cooperative this morning, as it has been all season :). 39F (3.9C) and clear with a light breeze. Perfect. I headed to the track in my warm tights, long-sleeved Portland-to-Coast shirt, gloves, headband and headlight (yeah, still dark when starting workouts). I did a warm-up and my legs felt a bit stumpy/off from the DOMS from playing basketball/skating, but that was to be expected. My warm-up was good, though - 1600m with 2x100m strides in 10:08 with ave HR 140.

I waved hello to a couple I frequently see walking (casual walking) on the track and then got started. The first km felt pretty hard, and my 500s were 2:53.4 and 2:57.5. I was pretty sure then that this wasn't going to be good, but it actually ended up OK. My 500m medium was 3:08.9, a bit faster than they have been, which encouraged me. My next 500m fast was 2:55.8 (haha not that fast...but I'm coming back so it's OK), and the medium effort was 3:10.3. The final 500m fast was a very hard effort but I did 2:52.6, my fastest 500 of the day, so I'm pleased with that.

Total time 17:59, and average HR 160. Faster than last week with a lower HR. I'll take that. And I'm finally under 18 min, which is less humiliating. It's still slow, but at least it's not embarrassingly slow. The best part is that so far nothing is hurting. No weird soreness. No fatigue. I can train! Yay!

The sunrise and clouds post-workout were great, and I took a selfie at the track, too :).

Garmin data here. 

No comments: