Wednesday, January 08, 2014

elliptical; 3.165K fartlek

Yesterday I was actually fairly sore from the 8K with bursts on Monday. Good thing I had a day to recover! I did some cross-training on the elliptical. I will admit I was a bit worried because I was sore. But I know better… this recovery thing is not linear and is 3 steps forward, 2 steps back.

***

Today I felt a lot better on waking. My muscles were well-recovered.

Unfortunately, it was snowing (and has continued to snow all day - we have at least 4-5 inches of the white fluffy stuff), so outdoors was out of the question. Fortunately, I have the indoor track at the U just a short drive away, so off I went.

I warmed up for 8 laps (211m/lap) for 1688m in 10:22 with ave HR 142. I felt pretty good, and felt strong. I focused on pulling my arms back, standing up straight, and using my glutes - especially my left glutes. Might as well work on technique!

After some dynamic stretching (they have a nice barre right next to the track - super for dynamic and static stretching), I got going. Since the track is 211m, all of my intervals are a bit long - the 1k is actually 1.055km, and the 500m are 527.5m. However, since my coach wants to know my 500m and 1000m times, I've converted them by dividing by 1.055, so the reported times here are the converted ones.

I got off to a great start with my first 1K in 5:29.5. Then my first 500m medium effort was only a 3:02.8. My next 500m was 2:47.6, then a medium effort in 3:07.3, and my final fast 500m was 2:48.6. Total time was 17:15.8 (actual time for the 3.165km was 18:13), which I'm pretty happy with. Average HR was quite high at 165 and my max was 176. I definitely gave this one a good hard effort. I felt my legs held up very well to the end - felt strong and able to push in the last 500m.

Garmin data here.

No comments: