Saturday, January 04, 2014

easy 6K

This morning my legs felt pretty good. My hamstrings were definitely a bit sore from yesterday, but it was mostly the normal muscle soreness, not that more piercing weird soreness I have been suffering from all last year. That was definitely reassuring, though sore is still sore, and I knew that walking the day after speed work would be tough, given my recent history.

I got ready to go, and Calvin said, "Mommy, I want to go with you!". So I waited for him to get ready and we set out together. It wasn't too cold at -3C (27F), calm, and sunny. It's a good thing we waited until late morning to go, because the roads were still snow-covered on the side streets and it was quite slippery in spots. There were a couple 500m stretches where I'm sure we'd have been at least 10 sec faster if not for the snow.

My legs were tired but none of the weird soreness until about 5K, when I could tell that yesterday's speed work was catching up to me. Even so, it wasn't too bad, and though I am somewhat sore now, it's not terrible.

Jim thinks I'm ready to try a 2-week schedule, so we've got 4 walks planned for next week, including another 3km fartlek. The long walk next week will be a 12K, and that's going to be interesting seeing as how I haven't gone that far since August. To motivate myself, I signed up for the New Year's Revolution Run at the Olympic Oval, where you have 5 hr to run or walk as far as you like, with electronic lap counting. I figure I'll do better if I have a crowd around and a party-ish atmosphere.

Totals for today: 6K in 37:49 for 6:17/km with ave HR 144.

Garmin data here. 

No comments: