Monday, March 16, 2009

Catching up; swimming!

It's been a while since I posted. It was a busy weekend!

Friday: 1.2 miles racewalking (2k) as a warm-up for my weight training class. I did a good hard set of weights and abs.

Saturday: TNT workout. The team was doing 20 miles. I really, really, wanted to do it with them. But I didn't. I only did 9.5, touching base with everyone a couple of times and walking with most of them for a while. I did some running (probably 1.5 miles?) with the fastest summer team member; she was churning out 7:45-8:00 miles and there was no way I was going to try and RW with her. So I ran. My IT bands complained a little bit but not too much; I was not sore later (though I did take my anti-inflammatory and iced them).

Also on Saturday: Got home and was there 10 minutes after the team workout to change clothes and say hi to the family. Then it was back out there to go teach a RW clinic to some ultramarathon runners. That was a blast! They caught on pretty quickly and all seemed to appreciate the tips. I did about a mile (or maybe 2? Didn't have the Garmin on for all of it) with them.

Sunday: REST day. I did no exercise, though I did take the kids to the zoo in the afternoon. We enjoyed a couple hours there.

Today: I considered RW around SH Park but decided against it. I want to be as fresh as possible for Saturday's 1/2 marathon! However, I really really wanted some exercise, and needed cardio. The only option that wasn't going to wear out my legs was swimming, so I went over to Steiner Aquatic Center and hopped in the pool. I am lousy at counting laps (easily distracted?!?) but I think I did 45 x 50 yards in 50 minutes. Each 50 yds was taking me about a minute to 1:05, and I don't do flip turns (did at one point, but haven't done them in about 20 years and probably should start again...) so I'm slow to turn around. Anyway, 2250 yds is a good workout and I felt pleased with it. I got to wear my new swimsuit that I ordered at Christmas, which came in the wrong size and had to be exchanged by mail. It fit very well and it was quite comfortable.

Tomorrow I'll do a few miles at half marathon pace to keep my legs fresh, and I'll probably swim again on Wednesday. Thursday some more @ 1/2 MP and then Friday just a few easy miles - maybe 20-30 min tops. Saturday is race day!!! The family is going to go down to Moab with me and we plan to visit Canyonlands and Arches National Parks while we're there. My racewalking & walking buddies (9 of them!) will be there too. It's gonna be a nice weekend :).

1 comment:

Hunca Munca said...

Nice swimsuit! I like it. Hey, did I ever tell you about the Courthouse Wash hike in Arches NP? If you have not done it, be sure to ask me - it is AWESOME and this is the perfect time of year to do it.