Saturday, August 21, 2010

racewalking friends :)


Yesterday, Erin and Dave arrived at our home en route to Portland for the Portland-to-Coast relay (remember, the cool race that I hurt my foot at last year). We have the same coach, and though I've met Erin once in person last year at Portland-to-Coast, we hadn't spent much time in person. We've gotten to know each other better online, and we are both musicians as well as racewalkers. Erin plays the oboe & bassoon, and teaches private lessons. So I was really excited that Erin and her husband Dave decided to stop in Salt Lake overnight, and will return for 2 nights on their way back.

Yesterday they walked 10K easy and I biked alongside, since I'd already done my 3K fartlek. Then last night we went out to dinner at a middle eastern restaurant we love here, Mazza, on 15th and 15th. Finally, we capped off a great day with some music; Erin brought a Haydn concerto which we played together. Very fun!

They had an 8K fartlek to do this morning, whereas I had a rest day. I would have done a workout w/them, but my hamstrings are still sore from the 10K on Thursday and the 3K fartlek yesterday. Yeah, it's because I'm not using my glutes enough, but that's another story (and Erin gave me a great tip to help with that - squeeze the butt while I walk! I'm going to try it tomorrow). Anyway, I did a 2K warm-up with them, and then was the water boy/photographer/cheerleader for their workout. Erin did her 8K fartlek in 44:47 (remember, my PR for the 8K fartlek is 48:40-something) and Dave did his in 42:02. Yeah, they are fast! Erin made it through 5K in 27:58, one second slower than my PR for 5K. Erin has beautiful, smooth technique and is a joy to watch. I actually wished I was doing the workout with them, even though that's a hard one. But I know I was smart not to do it!!!!!

They left this morning, but will be back on Labor Day weekend. I'm looking forward to it!

No comments: