Saturday, June 19, 2010

A little hiking :)

It was SO beautiful today that I just had to take the kids for a hike. Yeah, I know, I did 15K (9.3 miles) this morning, fast...but I still wanted to hike. The kids are slow, so I figured it would be OK. Besides, I wanted to break in my new hiking boots. I got them for only $67 at the Columbia outlet in Kimball Junction, and they are pretty nice boots!

So we hiked from Silver Lake at Brighton up to Lake Solitude. There were lots of small snowfields on the trail, and the kids needed quite a bit of help negotiating them. When we got closer to the lake, we lost the trail in the snow, and both kids were crying because it was a hard slog. We turned around and found another way up that didn't have so much snow. We finally made it up to the lake and enjoyed a picnic lunch up there. Then we hiked back; both kids did really well and made it all the way back, though they were tired. We hiked for 2 hr and went only 5.5 km (3.4 mi). But we did have a lot of elevation change, and we didn't hurry. Like you can hurry with two kids ages 3.99 (she'll be 4 on 6/23!) and 5 1/2!

Pictures here - some of them came out great. The aspen are just starting to leaf out, and they are that bright iridescent green that I just love.

1 comment:

Lantis Lani said...

Nice pix, and good work for the kids. What a great mom you are that you persisted even after the crying. You must be proud of them. Happy Birthday, Michelle!