Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Feeling more positive

Yesterday I woke feeling miserable, and the only exercise I got was shoveling snow. Twice. But despite that, I managed to have a very good day with my eating, I managed to successfully babysit 4 kids all day, and I felt pretty good at the end of the day. Part of that was due to the fact that I finally got a doctor's appt to see someone about my IT band problem. I can't get in until next Wednesday, 1/14, but I got an appt with a doc at the U that comes highly recommended by a friend I trust.

This morning I biked on the bike trainer for 20 min then headed off to weight training. I had a good workout and did a bunch of stuff for my abductors and adductors, hoping that will help with the IT band problem. My knee is feeling a lot better today than it has, probably from resting it so much. The biking is a bit iffy, though - it doesn't hurt, but I wonder if it is hindering my recovery? I have read quite a bit that leads me to believe it might not be the best. I think I'll just use it sparingly until I see the doc next week and can ask her what she thinks.

Tomorrow I am going to swim. I got a swim cap today (the kids nearly dismantled Big 5 in the few minutes it took me to pick out a hot pink one) and so I think I'm all ready. The suit I have is not that great, since the Finis suit I ordered was the wrong size (mislabeled box) so I had to send it back, and so I'm going to wear an old suit I've had around for a while. It doesn't fit the best but should work in a pinch. I will just have to make do with it until the replacement suit arrives in a few weeks. I'm a little nervous about swimming at a new pool, alone - but hopefully I can figure out which lanes are for the really slow people like me :).

OK, off to bed - need my sleep so that I can have the strength to face whatever food temptations come my way tomorrow.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Re: swimming and feeling slow.

Unless you are an Olympic swimmer, you can always find a pool where you will be the slow one.

I had a conversation with this guy who was just kicking my butt at a workout: he was intimidated at the Big Shoulders 5K swim, where he swam 22 MINUTES faster than I did! :-)

Mind you I finished "in the pack"; albeit at around the 33rd percentile.

You and I could easily share a lane; to a good swimmer we'd be of roughly the same ability.

Besides, given how quickly you pick up technique (and I know you put lots of work into your walking but still, few adapt as quickly as you did), well, you'll be improving dramatically in no time.

malvs2walk said...

So glad you found a doctor, and that your outlook is improving! It's really tough to be on the injured list.