Monday, June 23, 2014

cross-training; 8K

Yesterday: a day of very easy cross-training. I rode my bike slowly, with Calvin on his bike (he is quite a trooper to tackle the hills), to the gym. We eagerly dove into the clear water, enjoying the refreshment of the post-bike swim. Calvin played and splashed and jumped off the diving board while I swam laps for 30 minutes. I worked very hard on breathing on both sides. I'm not a great swimmer, and find it much easier to breathe on my right side; I don't float as well on the right side so it's harder to breathe on the left. I know there are drills for that…but yeah, I'm lazy. And unless I decide to do a triathlon I guess I don't care much if I'm a slow swimmer.

Side note: Grace was still pretty sick yesterday, but was looking a lot better. This morning she actually went to camp; I hope that will be OK. Her fever was gone today and she looked pretty perky.

***

Today: 8K of racewalking! I got up sleepily, groggily threw on some workout clothes, grabbed the dog, my phone, and my Garmin and ran out the door. I love summer. I don't have to think about what to wear for a workout - I know it's shorts and a T-shirt. No gloves, no hat, no wondering if I have enough layers, and no blinking light or neon vest required. Just me and the dog, out for some exercise. And today it was a lovely morning - 61F (about 15C) with a cooling breeze and sunshine.

I felt good today - got to 5K at about a 6:15/km pace, and then of course slowed a bit on the uphill at the end. I finished in 51:09 for 6:24/km with ave HR 149. I did feel a bit tired the last 1-1.5km, but none of the weird soreness, and was glad for the exercise.

After that I did have to take Calvin to camp, and since I didn't buy a parking permit this year, and since he doesn't have a bus pass, that means bicycling. We gently rode our bikes to his camp, but then it's a huge uphill for me to get to work. My legs were whining a bit about that, but I didn't push too hard, and it only takes about 15 min to get up the hill. Now, at lunch, I feel pretty good, although my legs are tired going up and down stairs and walking around at work. Nothing out of the ordinary, though, and I'm very grateful.

Garmin data here. 

No comments: