Tuesday, March 27, 2012

3x2K, 3x1K

The weather was much more cooperative today. It was 38F (3C) and slightly breezy this morning. Much better than yesterday's weather - though it was warmer yesterday (54F or 12C) it was so windy that it was impossible to do speed work. I did 2 laps on the track yesterday before calling it quits and doing the elliptical instead. Every time I came around the back stretch, the wind almost blew me over. It was gusting to 60mph (100kph) and was pretty steady at about 30mph (50kph). Not conducive to a good workout at all. Fortunately, it's not often that windy here; right before a storm it is, but usually I don't have the misfortune of having to do a track workout right when a storm comes in.

The running club was back at the track today. I didn't know they'd be there, and it's a bit of a hassle to share the track, but today it wasn't too hard. My boss is a member of that club and was at the track and we said hi. They were doing 400s, and they were kind enough to just go around me in lane 1. I also saw a former weight training instructor there; the longer I live here the more I run into people in different places.

I warmed up for 1600m w/strides in 9:59. I did some dynamic stretching and then got started on the main workout. 3x2K and 3x1K with 2 min rest is a tough workout, but I felt up to it. My body finally feels 100% again after my various viral illnesses.

I felt good today but not great. I did well, but not spectacularly well. Basically I got out there and got the job done. I worked comfortably hard on the first two 2Ks, and pushed it quite hard on the last 2K but still slowed a little. Despite that, I felt much stronger on the 1Ks this week than I did last week, which was good. I was able to keep a pretty consistent speed, though it took a very hard effort. The last two 1Ks, my legs felt a bit like Jell-O, but I was able to will them to keep going.

Here are my times and ave HR: 11:23.2 (167 - but that is not right, as the HR monitor was spiking - probably more like low 160s), 11:23.4 (164), 11:29.8 (164), 5:37.5 (162.5), 5:37.5 (161.5), 5:39.9 (162). My max HR was 169-171 on all 6 of the intervals, so I was definitely working it hard. Now my legs are pretty tired. My right IT band is acting up a bit; I'm hoping it's not from the racewalking. I did some figure skating yesterday but usually that doesn't bother my IT band, so I'm not sure. I'm a bit worried that because I've been neglecting my weight training that my right hip is weak. I need to hit the gym more but it's been so hard to fit everything in lately.

Speaking of that, I have to go and get some stuff done!

Garmin data here.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Welcome to middle age Tammy. Skip the usual PT and you pay for it (re: your IT band, my piriformis, back and rotator cuff).