Wednesday, August 10, 2011

almost 20K

19.57km, to be exact. I fell asleep before setting my alarm last night (!duh!) and so I didn't wake up until 5:55am. Oops! I was supposed to be back home from my 20K by 8:00 am, and that meant I had to leave the house by about 5:45 am. Loren nicely agreed to be a bit late to work but I'd have to be home by 8:20 am at the latest. I got on the road at 6:10 am, and with stoplights, it took me until 8:20 am to do 19.57km. Close enough.

My legs were fairly sore this morning from the 10K fartlek yesterday. I guess I pushed it too hard. Oh well. Live and learn. The first 5K today felt really good, but after that it was a slog, especially from about 7-12K. About 12K it got a little better for some reason - I was still hurting and still slow, but it didn't feel as bad.

This was definitely not one of my better workouts, but it did feel better than the really awful 15K and awful 20K a week ago and 10 days ago, respectively. I just felt tired today, but not horrible or anything. My legs are definitely sore now, but after a day of cross-training I'm sure I'll be ready for the 12K kickdown on Friday. I am not going to do that one too hard, though, because I have 10K Saturday with 2x8' at 20K pace, and 30K on Sunday. I have to pace myself, and Jim has been very clear on that. I thought I went easy enough on the fartlek yesterday, but now I know I have to take the speed work even a little easier for now.

It's a bit frustrating. I am starting to worry if I'm going to adjust well enough fast enough to finish strong in the marathon. I was encouraged by Sunday's 25K and my 10K fartlek yesterday, but today has me a bit down again. It's hard to stay mentally strong. Well, the body is going to do what it's going to do, and I can't control that. I have to just get out there and do what I can and the rest is not up to me.

Total time for 19.57km = 2:07:22 for 6:30/km (I told you it was slow...). Ave HR 143. Splits 5K 31:00, 10K 1:03:33 (32:33), 15K 1:36:27 (32:54), 19.57K 2:07:22 (30:55; 6:46/km...wow...uphill, but still....ouch!).

Garmin connect data here.

No comments: