Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A little discouraged, but still going

I'm a bit discouraged. After taking the @(*#&$ progesterone, my weight has gone up 5 lbs. The good news is that it worked, so apparently I have enough estrogen for my health. However, the bad news is that the weight gain seems to be more than temporary. I thought it was just water weight, but it's a week later, and I still have the darn weight. I worked SO hard to lose that 5 lb to get into racing form, and here I am a month out from my 1/2 marathon having to lose that weight again. I can't totally blame the medication. I have been eating a lot - but I was tracking my points and there is no way that it was that much. It's frustrating. However, I am NOT going to let it get me down - I am going to get out there, work hard, and have an awesome race on April 19th.

***

Speaking of my race, I did a threshold workout this morning. I always hate them while I'm doing it but feel good afterwards. Today was no different, only I still feel a bit tired. I did get a nice adrenalin rush, but I think I need more sleep and am still not used to the time change, so I am not feeling as good as I usually would after the workout. At least I did it. I did 2 laps of Liberty Park in just over 28 mins; not a great time, but not too bad - pretty average.

Almost forgot - yesterday's workout: 15 min elliptical followed by 50 min of total body weight training. The squats were tough, and my legs are letting me know about it today, so I guess I did pretty well on my threshold workout today, all things considered.

Thursday I'm going to do some track intervals and Saturday I'm doing a 5K race as part of my training. I have been mostly doing longer distance stuff, so my time probably won't be super fast, but I'm mainly doing it to get in a good hard workout, so that will be fine. You never know, I might race faster than I think I will!

1 comment:

Harriet said...

You might talk to other women about this.

As for me, every 3-4 years 5-10 pounds creeps back on (pardon the racewalking pun) and I have to readjust my diet to take it off.

Fact: I need less food at 48 than I did at 44 given the same training. I needed less food at 44 than I did at 40, and less at 40 than I did at 38.

But I know that women of child bearing age have physical issues that guys don't have.

Just keep the scale as a scientific instrument and not a deity, ok? :-)